better brakes

Kabara, Richard M. richard.kabara at pw.utc.com
Thu Sep 25 14:13:00 PDT 2008

 Jo, keep in mind that power goes with the cube (3rd power) of speed for aero drag. At those speeds, mechanical drag is a small percentage of total drag, assume it zero. Assume aero drag is the same for both bikes.

These are ROUGH numbers for illustration:
GSX-R1000  150 rear wheel-hp  180mph top speed
SV650       70 rear wheel-hp  140mph top speed

(180mph/140mph)^3 = 2.1

150hp/70hp      = 2.1

So the GSX-R1000 has more than double the hp, but only goes ~30% faster than the SV...

Mother Nature is a real bitch!
Rich