hi

Aaron Turner synfinatic at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:25:56 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Randy Grein <randygrein at comcast.net> wrote:
> Maybe. Sometimes these come from associates who have address lists in
> common, other times from the listserv itself being infected. The latter is
> not likely, but still possible. Micapeak does a good job of security, but
> it's important to remember that many mainline companies - including
> Microsoft - have been hacked in the past, and will continue to be in the
> future.
>
> I have seen mail coming from 'my account' based on well-known worms I can't
> possibly have, as the worms require Outlook to run. Not an option on a mac;
> the messages were forged by an infected computer belonging to someone else.
>
> Returning you to your regularly scheduled SV list,

It's actually quite trivial to spoof email addresses from anywhere.
This is quite typical because it helps their spam bypass filters and
makes it look more legit.  No Outlook or "hacking" required.  This
particular spam was sent from a computer in mainland china
(124.135.236.221) via Microsoft's Hotmail servers because they're too
lame to require proper SMTP authentication.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/