repair freeze plugs?

Randy Grein randygrein at comcast.net
Sun Feb 8 10:02:20 PST 2009

I've done the same to my streetbike - didn't think that the former
owner had track prepped it. I did have them come loose a second time,
so sealed them in - red locktite, IIRC. Alternative would be to
replace them; they are intended to provide an interference fit with an
initial crush and may not spring back enough to re-insert.

Oh, and you may end up with oil in the cooling system, which requires
a bit of flushing to get all the way out. Cleaning the coolant out of
the oil system is easier - drain it all, fill fresh, bring it up to
temp and drain again. There may be some scraps of foam left on top,
but it will evaporate quickly with use.

Randy Grein, WMRRA #41