Strange clutch problem

Wendell Crain wendell_crain at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 1 14:00:16 PDT 2009

I had this happen at the last round of racing. Went up for practice on Saturday. Took the bike out of the trailer and got it through inspection. Walked it back to the trailer and then was going to take it pit lane. Started it, waited for it to warm up, pulled in clutch and thought I had lost my mind or my grip. Looked at the cable. Tried to start it with the clutch in, but no joy. Walked it to pit lane. Went through the clutch adjustment and waited for the start of practice. Rode in practice for 15-20 minutes. Then coming down pit lane pulled the clutch in. I could tell that it hadn't disengaged. Tried to find neutral, but wasn't lucky. Ended up hitting the kill switch. Went through the clutch adjustment again. Rode in the next round of practice for 10 minutes, it behaved normally. Tried one more round of practice and put the bike up thinking my clutch plates were going to go and I had no spares with me. Next morning, did two 5 minute rounds of practice and had no issues. I then had a major get-off in the first race, so the clutch was no longer an issue. :(