[SV650] Greetings and questions

John T DBSS_Gohan at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 4 14:16:12 PDT 2009

Hi all, Greetings from Raleigh, N.C.
I just signed up for the list, and have always found mailing list on my favorite vehicles quite helpful communities.
I've been riding for a while, but have wanted an SV for around 5 years, and after selling my last bike, just picked a 2000 SV up last night.
It has a couple of issues I wanted to ask about....
The bike had been sitting for a while before I got it. I'm starting with a carb cleaning, and I have removed the carbs, I'm planning on running some B12 chemtool through it, and some other carb cleaner, and maybe letting that sit overnight, and then pouring it out. I've cleaned out the float bowls, and sprayed through the passages, but I didn't really want to take out the caps to remove the idle screws, or pilot screws, whichever ones are in the caps, to dip in a chem bucket. I figured I would go with this, and if I still have an issue, I'll go back and end up tearing them down entirely, or either have a shop do it. I really don't want to mess with the stock settings.
The symptoms of the problem it is having... mostly is that it won't rev past 6,000 RPM. And it's very low on power, and lacking some throttle response.

Next. I believe the rear wheel is out of alignment. It starts to feel more unstable, and leany if that makes any sense, the higher speed you go. Almost wobbly, but not quite. The indicators on the swingarm are off by  bit, so I figured this may be the issue. And or an issue with the back brake.

Next, the mounting piece, otherwise known as #6 on most catolouge diagrams for the kickstand, does that bend out a little bit? I stupidly left the kickstand down on the 3 hour drive home, when we had strapped it to the trailer, and It bent the kickstand down pretty far. My options for this are replace, or bend the old one back right? I can't figure if the kickstand itself bent, or that mounting piece, anyone know if the mounting piece bends out a little already? Anyone ever made the same mistake and had any luck with a way of bending?

Thanks in advance,
--John