[SV650] Greetings and questions

Randy Grein randygrein at comcast.net
Sun Jul 5 11:49:05 PDT 2009

Welcome to the list John!
Last problem first - IIRC the piece you refer to is steel and can be
bent back, although it's more likely that the stand itself bent.
Bending it back while on the frame might not be a good idea; I'd at
least TRY a press, or if that's not available a solid vice and
engineers hammer.

The wobblies - quite a few things could result in the symptoms you
describe, so check but don't stop at wheel alignment. Get the rear on
a stand, point the front wheel straight and from behind sight down
each side of the rear wheel at the bottom so that you can just see the
edge of the front. Note how much of the rear wheel sidewall is showing
and then check the other side; if it's aligned correctly both sides
will show the same amount of sidewall. More likely is the tire is worn
and misshaped. Look at it from behind; is there a pronounced flat spot
on one side or the other? More serious is crash damage with the forks
and triple clamps being likely culprits. Sorting that out might be
beyond your comfort level; if a close inspection turns up nothing you
might want to take it in to an expert - a frame shop is best, although
a good bike shop should be able to determine if something is crooked.

Carb cleaning - never been a fan of the chemical methods, but that's
lack of experience. I hear quite a few people who have tried it
without success, but it could be the successful ones don't write in.
However the symptoms you describe don't fit an idle circuit problem.
If it's carburetor it's the main jet that's clogged, but there are a
lot of other things that could cause this. Is it running on both
cylinders? How does it idle, just barely or not at all - or just fine?
Is compression good? Any weird sounds coming from the motor? Let us
know...

Randy Grein, WMRRA #41