[SV650] Greetings and questions

Randy Grein randygrein at comcast.net
Sun Jul 5 18:38:21 PDT 2009

Sounds like you still have crud in the gas. If it was sitting that
long you may need to drain the float bowels a few times if any water
is collecting. Also check the air filter & make sure something isn't
nesting there. The right side cover, if it's from the outer cover is
an o ring; if the last owner pinched it it will leak like anything. If
you try to replace it clean the groove of oil & put a bit of grease in
it - sticky wheel grease is good - to hold the o ring in place while
installing. You might as well drain the oil at the same time; that way
you can replace the washer under the drain plug. I'm guilty as anyone
of not replacing it, but they don't reuse well.

The loud clicking sounds bad - broken wheel bearing maybe? Grab the
wheel & back end and push/pull it hard sideways; if you can feel any
slop don't ride it - at all! A loose chain has nothing to do with the
general lack of torque, that's still your carburation problem. At
least it idles but the choke (really it's an enrichener circuit, not
choke) cable needs to be cleaned. You can still find a cable lube kit
at some bike shops, the heart of the system is a blue anodized fixture
with a twist knob to clamp around a cable end. A hole in the rubber
accepts the spray nozzle of a lubricant can like WD-40 and is great
for cleaning and lubing cables. You will have to disassemble the left
handlebar switch, but it's not a big deal.

Good luck...
Randy Grein, WMRRA #41

On Jul 5, 2009, at 5:36 PM, John Treadwell wrote:

> Well, I got the gas in it, and the carbs cleaned, and it runs a bit
> better. It will rev past 5/6k now, but sometimes it gets a little
> hesitation as it's approaching it. I suppose the gas needs to run
> through it a bit, but I've got an oil leak from the right side of
> the bike, around the larger engine cover over there.... Possibly at
> one of the plugs on the bottom as well. I'd like to fix those, as
> theres quite a bit of oil leaking. I'm going to do a quick wheel
> alignment, and chain tension, as my brakes on the back seem to
> engage too early, And I'm getting a loud clicking from the back as I
> take off. Also, the bike doesent seem to want to have enough torque
> to take off from the lower rev range, I've gotta feather the clutch,
> and rev it up too long I think, But I'm thinking that could just be
> really loose chain tension.
>
> The front tire looks cupped from what I can tell. I need to check
> air pressures. I torched and hammered out the kickstand itself a
> little bit, and now I'm thinking about bending the mounting piece a
> bit, or continuing to whack on the kick stand itself.... the bike
> will lean now... but it's still leaning a little too much for my
> comfort. So I'm gonna go throw that bracket in my vice, and see if I
> can bend it out a little.
>
> Also... the bike will idle however I want it to now... The choke
> works now.. it didn't when I got it. The choke is a little... hard
> to pull though. I am going to check plugs and compression here in a
> few minutes as well. I'll report back with those findings as well.
> Thanks,
> --John

<snip>