SV running poorly

Erik Weber yoober at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 15:17:11 PDT 2009

My 01 SV sat for seven months without running.

The battery was dead, so I roll started it. It ran awfully at first
and would not stay running without the choke, even when giving it
throttle. It was backfiring all over the place and the exhaust was
making gurgling sounds, hard to describe but like excess vibration in
there or something. So I kept the choke on and ran it up and down the
block a couple times. It started getting a little better. Still wants
to stall without the choke, but not immediately, and at least now the
battery is charged so I can restart it. I needed to load it so I
didn't continue to run it to see how much better it would get.

What is the diagnosis? Could this just be old fuel? Or is this clogged
up jets? Is there anything I can do short of taking the carbs off
(such as additives), or will it work itself out as I run it for a
while?

Thanks,
Erik