Inner clutch cover

zoran zv30 at
Sat Mar 14 13:53:24 PDT 2009

lean bike on left side. drain oil, have beer and come back in few hours.
fish washer with magnet.
there are 3 spots on cover where you can use pry bar to unglue it from
cases. make sure all bolts are out before doing it. 3 bolts that hold water
pump also hold cover to case.

Zoran Vujasinovic
Twin Works Factory
----- Original Message -----
From: "Wendell Crain" <wendell_crain at>
To: <sv650 at>
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2009 1:30 PM
Subject: Inner clutch cover

Hi All!

I have a first gen that I am in the process of swapping the shift star,
spring, and arm for a better version. Going through the outer clutch cover
was fine (apparently have small enough hands). Two things have come up. The
first is apparently there was a washer behind the arm that I didn't realize,
nor feel and it fell to the bottom somewhere and I have torn the inside
portion of the gasket material. I wouldn't have thought that to be an issue,
but I now see a little antifreeze inside the bottom of the case. It wasn't
there before I started. I cannot see the washer and the magnet isn't picking
it up. I figured I needed to pull the inner clutch cover to find the missing
washer and replace the gasket. I have tapped on the outside of the case with
a plastic ended hammer, pulled and tugged. I cannot seem to get the cover to
come off. On my GSX-R, it came off after the appropriate amount of force.
Not so on the SV. Any suggestions on how to get this cover off? Thanks!