Back fire back fire back fire

Jo Rhett jorhett at fastlizardracing.com
Sun Mar 22 11:26:47 PDT 2009

On Mar 22, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Ernest Montague wrote:
> I am putting the race bike back together. Flatslides and gen two
> cams. It ran well last year, and now I can NOT get it running well.
> It starts and idles fairly well but will NOT take throttle. It
> backfires through the cannister and sometimes the front carb.   I
> have checked and changed plugs, redid the plug wires, checked spark,
> and checked the coil connections. .Fresh gas.  Good battery. Anyone
> have any suggestions?

When I had that last year it was my IC ignitor.

> Yesterday I got it running after some sputtering and backfiring and
> it ran perfectly, took gas well.  Now it  is back to not taking
> throttle.

When it started to fail it would sometimes work and sometimes not.
Twice I got it to work after spending all day doing things (cleaning
carbs, etc) but it wouldn't work the next morning.  In retrospect it
was probably a warm-up thing for the ignitor.

Anyway, testing is easy -- take one off a good bike and if it doesn't
solve the problem instantly, it wasn't that.

#553 WERA / AFM
#53 SMRRC