Cam chain tensioners

Beth hacktastic at gmail.com
Sun May 17 12:55:56 PDT 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 12:35 PM, KC Gager <kc at brgracing.com> wrote:
> The testing we have done and Marc @ Factory showed more like 3 but I like to
> not over state....i think u all would be amazed at what drag cost you on a
> motor. Rings cam chains grears water pumps grears oil valve trains and the
> list goes on...and it all adds up.

KC,

My educational background is in math and physics. While I am not an
engineer by formal education or licensing, I have enough understanding
of frictional losses to question that a whole 2 HP is lost to the
tension the automatic cam chain tensioner put on the chain alone. That
is not to say it my hypothesis is incorrect, and I'll happily accept
empirical data collected using proper methodology. Since there is, as
you understand, a myriad of things causing losses in an engine, one
needs to isolate cam chain tensioner as much as possible via very
controlled testing conditions.

I'll see what's published out there already on teh intarwebs. :) The
SV engine is well documented and a known quantity.

-Beth