Cam chain tensioners

Jim Stewart js at strappe.com
Sun May 17 14:12:09 PDT 2009

Beth wrote:

> Rigorous testing, please. Many dyno runs. Same bike. I am doubtful
> that there's truly a 2hp loss from using an automatic cam chain
> tensioner. That seems like some serious drag on the cam chain and the
> guides.

Those two horsepower would all have to be lost in the form of heat.

1 hp = 746 watts, so those 2 hp equal 1.5 kilowatts.

Let's see: a typical light bulb uses about half of its power generating heat, so
  1500 watts heat would be the heat output of 20 150 watt bulbs. Or about 20%
more than a typical electric space heater on high.

Anyone here ever touched a hot 150 watt bulb? Pretty hot, wasn't it? And that's
just one...

-js