Cam chain tensioners

Beth hacktastic at gmail.com
Sun May 17 15:49:52 PDT 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Ernest Montague <afm199 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Not when the heat is carried off in steel and oil and dissipated by the
> radiator

It's a given that there is friction generated by the cam chain rubbing
against the teeth of the cam chain sprockets and guides. The question
is how much and is there a significant difference between the tension
the OEM automatic cam chain tensioner puts on the chain versus a
properly configured manual cam chain tensioner. We're not talking
about a complicated part of the engine.

It's an interesting thought experiment, barring credible empirical
evidence. And, yes, I question the evidence seeing that the person who
is trying to sell you the part is making the HP claims w/o conclusive
proof. No offense intended toward all parties involved. I'm interested
in what's the truth, not what other people say.

-Beth