Cam chain tensioners

Beth hacktastic at gmail.com
Sun May 17 19:07:39 PDT 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Randy Grein <randygrein at comcast.net> wrote:
> Alternator.

I wonder if that's the most efficient approach. You're using an
inefficient source (50% loss at the alternator) to power something
that normally is powered probably much more efficiently by the engine
itself. I wonder if simply trimming the blades the OEM pump's impeller
to decrease drag but get enough flow to keep the engine cooled would
be more effective. Frictional losses of the gear that drives the water
pump may be less than 50%. I would bet that somebody has tried it
already.

Wish wish wish I had the money and time to commit to putting real data
behind these thought experiments.

-Beth