Cam chain tensioners

Randy Grein randygrein at comcast.net
Sun May 17 19:42:38 PDT 2009

An interesting idea, but consider that there will be an 'optimum'
coolant velocity through the system beyond which there will be little
improvement in heat exchange. Further the power draw from the pump
will go up as to what - the cube of engine RPM. More, trimmed blades
will make a very inefficient pump - big loss in flow with just a
little reduction in power draw; the rest goes into water eddies
(heat). A variable ratio pump would be a great idea - if it were
simple and efficient. I do know the electric water pump idea is not
unique; the idea is common in NASCAR where they actually do experiment
with such things.

Final bit about this is that a really clever racer might configure the
alternator so that it stopped producing power during full throttle
application. Even with an SV much of the circuit is run under part-
throttle operation. Cutting the alternator to run off the battery
(temporary total loss) might give the best of both worlds for
endurance racing - during the daytime anyway. (grin)

Randy Grein, WMRRA #41