Cam chain tensioners

Randy Grein randygrein at comcast.net
Sun May 17 21:38:48 PDT 2009

Weird. But maybe they are cutting the battery weight to minimum, or
perhaps they're looking at it like engineers instead of physicists. I
read last year that MotoGP riders (and, presumably World Superbike as
well) use full throttle 2-3% of each lap. All other times presumably a
bit of excess engine power could be converted to electricity for use
later; during peak power demands it makes sense to block noncritical
conversion. Formula I is experimenting with something similar with a
hybrid car option. However maximum storage and power conversion are
limited so I suspect it won't be widely used - yet. I'm not fully up
on car racing but if they limit fuel capacity like they do on bikes
the milage savings may well justify the extra weight and complexity.

Some interesting things are happening with capacitive energy storage
that MAY affect bikes making a practical hybrid possible - it may make
a full performance electric possible. Wouldn't that be a hoot -
listening for that electric buzz sound of power not quite audible over
the slap of tire to tarmac. Would posers add electronic throbbing V-
twin power sound to their rides?

Randy Grein, WMRRA #41