100,000 mile sv finally dead (long)

David kerr ddjj660 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 19 11:45:57 PDT 2009

So, my beloved and well used SV is finally dead. I have no idea what's it's worth in it's current condition and i was hoping to get some help or if someone here is interested in purchasing it.

I am the original owner of a baby blue '99 SV650X. The bike has about 95,000 miles on it and I have ridden it into the ground. This has been my trusty ride in the canyons before kids and my daily commuter after kids. Ridden in every kind of weather imaginable and maintenance neglected since fatherhood 7 years ago. The bike has never been crashed at high speeds. The bodywork is in fine shape. The bike is completely stock except for:

cartridge emulators
ohlins rear shock (about 70k on it)
Corbin seat (seat cover ripping at the seams)
Heated hand grips
tach is broken

At around 40,000 I was an idiot and blew the original engine. With some help from you all I put a 2nd generation engine in the frame and now with about 70,000 miles on this one (60k by me and 10k on it when purchased), the second engine seems to have developed a compression problem. The local shop say it has good spark and fuel. He thinks the valves may have tightened, bent or burned.

At this point in my life I need a trusty commuter, i've certainly gotten my money's worth out of it and I don't see any reason to invest in this bike anymore. Hopefully you guys can help me with a plan. Do I:

Sell it as is locally or on ebay?
swap the ohlins and corbin back to stock and then sell?
Part it out?
Fix it if it can be done for $___ and then sell it?????

Thanks,
David
San Francisco bay area

P.S. I'm also in the market for a $2,500 and under commuter. Maybe another SV?