Front cylinder not firing, resolution

Randy Grein randygrein at comcast.net
Sun Sep 6 19:23:08 PDT 2009

Lately my procedure when stymied on anything is to set it aside until
later - conditions change, I have time to think about the problem,
better advice comes in, whatever. This time it was a combination -
decent light helped, and I had time to think about recommendations.

For those just joining us (and those with short-term memory loss) my
streetbike suddenly dropped the front cylinder. No water involved, no
recent work, and it wasn't a part-time failure, although it would
sometimes fire above 3-4000 rpm, farting and belching. It HAD to be
electrical in nature but changing the coil, plug or even the black box
didn't help. I just couldn't find it first time around and that's
where the light came in. The positive coil lead felt funny, but seemed
to hang on well enough. But looking at the connector showed it was
expanded quite a bit, and it seemed the plastic exterior was actually
holding the end to the terminal. Crimping it down provided an instant,
consistent spark, and after a bit of work to get past a bit of
flooding it runs fine again!

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and moral support.