jetting and airbox help

Randy Grein randygrein at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 17:24:15 PDT 2010

IIRC 150 is about right mains for an open airbox, but they do need to
be staggered - try a 147 front/150 rear, and work in the classic
tradition - get the mains sorted first, then dial in the needle. Just
be aware that an open airbox will never run really clean - what looks
like nice open space has real problems when it's not isolated enough.
Probably causing weird pulses; you do know the airbox is a resonance
chamber, right? Weird physics, and trying to outsmart the original
engineers is hard.

I did a lot of early work with a 1st gen open airbox, and while the
ideal jet numbers were  bit bigger than with a BMC RACE filter (use
near stock jets for the street filter, it has a stock-sized opening
without a trumpet) it actually makes a bit less power. Of course the
race filter came with a jetting kit that was pretty good and included
needles, that tells me you probably have the street air filter. If
that's the case go back to near stock settings; try 140 front/142 rear
to start and use the 3rd needle position. That might get you in the
right area, but you didn't say where the needles came from.

Randy Grein, WMRRA #141