yamaha master cylinder

Jim Stewart js at strappe.com
Sat Jul 10 11:40:36 PDT 2010

Steve Brunton wrote:
> [if this shows up twice. Sorry about that. can never remember what
> account is subscribed where]
>
> Tried to search the archives, but that didn't work so well. For those
> folks that might have put GSX-R front ends on their SV's (maybe like
> specifically '07 GSXR-600 stuff) does anyone know of what Yamaha
> master cylinder might work with those calipers? I've heard that later
> model R6 or R1's would, but not sure on which years or models. Thanks.
>
> -steve

You really need to be concerned with only two things: will it fit, and
will it work?

;-)

For the "work" part, you need to pay attention to the m/c diameter,
which is usually molded into the outside of the casting. Oddly, it's
often in inches instead of mm.

The same diameter as a stock GSXR m/c will work just like the stock GSXR
brake system. Smaller diameter m/c will give more leverage for lighter
feel with longer lever travel. Larger diameter gives less leverage
requiring a harder squeeze.

-js