nonsv content: gold wing poor gas mileage

Randy Grein randygrein at comcast.net
Fri Jun 11 20:51:36 PDT 2010

Yeah, I know - not an SV, but we have serious talent on the list, it's
been too quiet, and I'm not sure where to start. See, my dad stored
his gold wing 3 years ago when he started losing his memory. It's a
1992 with only 51,000 miles and he took pretty good care of it until
then. Anyway, he gave it to me as I'm the only one in the family who
rides and he didn't want to sell it. So I get a new battery and rear
tire,  do a routine service and it runs - pretty well, too. Idles
fine, starts right up, good power and no misses. But gas mileage is
crap, 3/4 of a 6.5 gallon tank in 110 miles and I wasn't going that
fast. Other than the cruise control light being on I can't think of
anything that would cut gas milage in half without running like shit.
Ideas?