nonsv content: gold wing poor gas mileage

Jim Stewart js at strappe.com
Fri Jun 11 21:27:12 PDT 2010

Randy Grein wrote:
> Yeah, I know - not an SV, but we have serious talent on the list, it's
> been too quiet, and I'm not sure where to start. See, my dad stored his
> gold wing 3 years ago when he started losing his memory.

Randy, I know what it's like. Heartbreaking.  My best to you and your
family.

  It's a 1992
> with only 51,000 miles and he took pretty good care of it until then.
> Anyway, he gave it to me as I'm the only one in the family who rides and
> he didn't want to sell it. So I get a new battery and rear tire,  do a
> routine service and it runs - pretty well, too. Idles fine, starts right
> up, good power and no misses. But gas mileage is crap, 3/4 of a 6.5
> gallon tank in 110 miles and I wasn't going that fast. Other than the
> cruise control light being on I can't think of anything that would cut
> gas milage in half without running like shit. Ideas?

I wonder if it was ever right.

I know I'm strange, but every "new" bike I've gotten in the last couple
of decades has been tested. One of the bench tests is to fill it to the
top, then drain it until it stops running in the normal petcock position.

Make a note.

Then put the petcock on reserve. Repeat.

Make another note.

I've had some real surprises...

-js