head work estimate and pistons for G1

matthew patton pattonme at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 18:03:59 PDT 2010

I looked down the intake throat and was greeted with the sight of some seriously caked up valves. I'm not interested in spending a ton of money ($1000 or rather less) but I would like to get the valves and springs replaced, seats checked and finished if needed and possibly pistons replaced.

How much (hours) should it take to remove the heads, replace valve train parts (valves, guides, springs) and put back together?

This is a street machine with 34,000 miles on it. It does see track day duty about 5 times a year and did a 4hr endurance race though I expect it's track duty to decrease significantly going forward.

If I elect to replace pistons, what is the BOM associated with the Busa option? I see Spears has a high comp kit. Any other reasonably priced options?

I realize any decent mechanic should be able to do the work but the short list is Speedwerks in DE and Rick Beggs' RnR cycles in Chantilly, VA. Anybody else reasonably local to DC that I should consider?