head work estimate and pistons for G1

Ernest Montague afm199 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 17 19:53:27 PDT 2010

Matthew:

Stock pistons are the best bet.  The Spears pistons will destroy a 35k
motor.  (Or a 4k motor). Stick with stock pistons.
Hayabusa if you need to go oversize, but you can still get .5mm
oversize stock pistons.

It costs a small fortune to do both heads.  8 valves are $250, guides
and installation are close to $300, labor to pull and replace the heads
is is $300-$450 depending on how the bike comes to me.  Then a three
angle valve job will run $300 or so.  Pistons and rings are $160-$200
plus honing the cylinders.  At 35k you probably need seats reground. In
other words, $1k won't do what you want.   Plus I did not cost springs.

Plus you are throwing good money after bad with a 35k SV motor. Find a
used one if you can.

I have a set of low mileage heads I will install for around $500.

Ernie