Diagnostics help

Patrick Mullen pmullen.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 2 21:16:33 PDT 2010

All,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction so I don't
waste too much time going down the wrong roads to figure out the
problem.  Here's the situation:

2001 SV650.  Good battery, good carbs, good air filter.  Starts fine.
Idles fine.  No backfires, even on deceleration.  Unbearably slow
acceleration.  At full throttle, it accelerates, but slowly.

Now, when I say "good battery and good carbs," I guess what I'm really
saying is it's a different (but used) battery and different (but not
cleaned) carbs from another bike that was running and after doing this
the bike exhibits the exact same behavior as it did with the battery
and carbs that were in the bike previously.  This leads me to believe
that it's something else, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas
of where else I should look.  Or could it simply be that the new carbs
are gummed exactly the same way as the previous carbs since they did
sit for a couple of months?

Thanks,

~Patrick
--
2006 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2003 Triumph Sprint ST
2004 (race) / 2001 (street) Suzuki SV650