help me avoid insanity

Patrick Mullen pmullen.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 30 18:12:49 PDT 2010

I put a second gen naked front end onto a first gen frame (bearings
and such already set up for the different diameter stem).  The top of
the steering stem sticks up too far for the chrome nut with the cap to
tighten against the top of the upper triple clamp.  I'm pretty sure I
put everything together correctly and everything is very tight and
solid during a test ride (yes, I rode it without the nut on the top of
the steering stem... I wasn't planning on pulling any wheelies so I
figured the clamps on the forks would hold it together for two miles).
 Should the nut stick up that far, or is something missing?  Is the
fix simply making a 1/4" spacer for under the chrome cap?

Thanks,

~Patrick
--
2006 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2003 Triumph Sprint ST
2004 (race) / 2001 (street) Suzuki SV650