water on spark plug fun -- and trivia question

Jo Rhett jorhett at fastlizardracing.com
Mon Nov 22 21:56:44 PST 2010

So this weekend I got caught out in the rain and had many miles of highway driving.  Right before I got home the sv650 started running on 1 cylinder, par for the course ;-)
	-- yes yes I still need to install a plastic stub on the bottom of the radiator as comes stock on '02

So I bought some pipe cleaners and cleaned out the drain hole.  Not much debris in there.  I pulled off the radiator and cleaned out the spark plug hole ... not much debris there either.  Very dirty outside, fairly clean and dry inside?  I pulled the spark plug and found it corroded all silly near the top as has been commonly reported.  See left one in this pic: http://pnwriders.com/mechanical-technical/132203-sv650-spark-plug-pics-after-5000-miles.html

In fact, that spark plug and mine were identical including the very dark deposits.  But I noticed that the gap was now larger than spec so I replaced the spark plug with a brand new one.  Put everything back together.

I started riding it and it ran just as bad as before, with little spurts of running on 2 cylinders.  After one mile it started running mostly on 2 and going back to 1 randomly, and then after one more mile (almost exactly) it ran clean and has been wonderful ever since.

Question: why did it take time for the problem to clear?  With a clean hole and a new spark plug, shouldn't spark have "just worked" ?  I'm curious and confused.

Also, what is the best fix to prevent this?  I noticed that my '02 radiator has special changes to provide screw holes for the plastic.  No such holes on the '01 radiator.  How do you guys mount the improv filter to an '01?

#553 WERA