[MC-CHASSIS-DESIGN] Fwd: Steering dampers - a warning.

Chris Burgess chris at chrisburgess.com
Wed Sep 8 21:52:54 PDT 2010

I can't get on the throttle anymore as I'm wide open when this
happens.  Only other choice is to get off the throttle.  Sometimes a
little bit but one I had to totally dump it and pray for it to stop
(randy over the hump between turn 4 and 5 as I crest the hill).

As to why it happened...it happened more with my year old set of tires
(yeah I don't go through them) but I put on new tires (cause it was
time) and got the same thing.  I actually found that if I went faster
(lap time wise) the weave went away more often.  So i'm not sure if I
was just tense on the bars or what.

Well today I did something to my right leg during my run this morning
soI'm not sure yet if I'm racing this weekend.  But tomorrow night I'm
going to check the steering head bearings to see how they are (they
are Kawi tapered bearings).  Thinking back this is the only thing that
comes to mind that I touched up since the previous weekend.  I touched
it cause I was wanting to make sure I didn't twist my forks when I
installed them last.  I might have left the bearings on the loose
side.

Anyhow as to a damper....I say get one.  If you don't every turn it
up...then great you don't need it.  But it is a tool that is available
if you have one.

-Chris

--
WERA #104