GSXR 2004 - 05 front wheel install?

Henrik Bo Pedersen henrikbp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 12:14:13 PDT 2011

Sorry, more questions.

First thanks much for all the transmission sprocket advice. Everything is now installed and aligned. I got the GSXR forks installed as well - had fun making the castle nut socket  :-)

But I'm unsure about installing the front wheel/axle:

- the front axle has a 24 mm inside hex on one end (goes on the left side of the bike I believe), and is threaded on the *outside* on the other end. This threaded end screws into a hollow aluminum sleeve that is smooth on the inside (no hex) and has a narrow collar that butts up against the outside of the fork leg.

- I've looked through service manuals for 2004 to 2008 GSXR 600, 750 and 1000, and all I can find is instructions for axles that are threaded on the inside and take an axle bolt on the right hand side. Nothing about hollow aluminum sleeves.

- can I just install the axle and sleeve, and then tighten the pinch bolts around the sleeve in order to be able to torque the front axle to the 72.5 ft. lbs. specified?

- once the axle it torqued, I guess I just make sure the narrow collar on the sleeve is tight against the fork leg and torque the pinch bolts?

Long run up for a short jump - sorry. But I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Henrik