Compressing front suspension

Jim Stewart js at strappe.com
Sat Jul 16 11:32:10 PDT 2011

On 7/15/2011 12:43 PM, Erik Weber wrote:
> Hey I'm doing some body work and I need to compress the front
> suspension and take some measurements.
>
> My idea is to take off the front fender and wrap a tie down through
> the front wheel and up around the center bar of the fairing stay and
> ratchet it down. I got the stock first gen fairing stay which I
> believe is made out of iron so I don't think it will bend.
>
> Is this a bad idea or is there a better way? I'm trying to make sure
> body work is going to clear when the suspension is bottomed out.
>
> Thanks,
> Erik

I'm about 23 hours late, so you've probably already proceeded with the
exercise.

But if not, don't overthink the issue. You're working too hard on a
simple job.

Just take *one* of the fork caps off. With only one active spring you'll
be able to compress the fork easily to its maximum. And with the second
spring still in place it'll be easier to extend them and replace the
fork cap.

-js