2004-05 GSX-R forks & Yamaha monoblock calipers

Henrik Bo Pedersen henrikbp at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 17:11:47 PDT 2011

I put 2005-05 forks on my '99 SV and was going to use Yamaha monoblock calipers of similar vintage. I thought it was a direct bolt-on, but it looks to me like the Yamaha calipers sit ~10mm proud. In other words, they'd need to sit ~10mm lower in order for the brake pads to make full contact with the rotors.

I could try to  remove the steel centering bushings in the Yamaha calipers, but that would only buy me an additional ~3mm.

I could try to have 10mm machined off of the Yamaha "stand-offs" but from vague memory didn't think it was necessary.

Thoughts?

Henrik