16 or 19mm master cylinder?

Andy Preston andy at prestonmedina.com
Sat Jun 18 21:52:23 PDT 2011

Rather than count calipers, count pistons. It's an unfortunate way that
they are marketed.

The 16x18 is sold as a single caliper master.
http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=10.4760.80

However, the intention is a 4 piston caliper, probably supermotard.

The 19x18 is
http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=10.4760.70 sold for
a 2 caliper setup, but as you noted, thats an 8 piston setup.

So if you just count pistons, a 16x18 would be more suited on stock SV
brakes. Don't know anyone who's tried it, the caliper piston diameter
may still not be optimal.

I run a 19x18 on my road bike and 4 piston Brembo's. I used to run a
pressure switch for my brake lights. However, I rarely braked hard
enough to have enough line pressure for the lights to come on. After a
couple of times when I stopped pretty quickly and a car drivers telling
me my brake lights didn't work I went to this
http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=BRP501 . Expensive
for what it is, but at least reliable.

Those Brembos are trick, I don't regret buying one at all for my road
bike, I can pretty much stop in no distance from any speed with one
finger, and add in my pinky when I need to stop even faster. But it's an
investment, as you need the MC, a reservoir, tubing to connect MC +
reservoir, bracket for reservoir, and some way of running brake lights,
either pressure or switch and adaptor. And probably a new banjo for your
brake lines. I would seriously consider an OEM unit, at least the
reservoir and brake light switch are taken care off.

Andy