some advice re: downshifting in corner entry

Jo Rhett jorhett at fastlizardracing.com
Tue May 17 11:00:41 PDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 3:02 PM, matthew patton wrote:
> Support upper body with your legs.

This is where it is changing for me.  I used to stand hard on the pegs and entirely support my body with the pegs.  However Ken Hill has impressed on me that I can't go any faster this way (and he's right) and convinced me to have weight on the seat to free up my feet for moving around to be in the right place for corner entry.  Watching fast riders (AMA and WSBK, MotoGP) shows that this is exactly what they do.

This change put more weight back on the bars (which is where Ken says it should be).  This has actually improved my corner entry and exit and allowed me to get on the gas harder out of the corner than before -- which is good.  But corner entry has gone to crap.  This isn't about improving my hard braking, it's about recovering the ability to brake smoothly at all.

#553 WERA / AFM