Storage

Jim Stewart js at strappe.com
Mon Sep 19 12:30:37 PDT 2011

On 9/19/2011 12:10 PM, Erik Weber wrote:
> I am forced to put my SV into storage. The place is climate
> controlled, so I don't have to worry about freezing. But the manager
> agreed to let me store it there on the condition that I empty the gas
> tank. I've always heard to leave gas in the tank to prevent rust. Any
> suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Erik

A dry tank in dry air won't rust. Even if there's a bit of moisture in
the air the rust will only be a thin surface coating.

But you can protect against that easily. Just drain and dry the inside
of the tank, then pour a few ounces of motor oil into it and coat the
inside thoroughly, then pour out the excess.

WD-40 should work for this application - after all, "WD" stands for
water displacement, the intended use of the product.

-js