charging system nfg ; battery takes charge but dies after riding

Andy Preston andy at prestonmedina.com
Sun Feb 12 20:34:32 PST 2012

I burnt out one of the three coils on the stator, but that is pretty
rare. At some point I'll even swap the gasket so it stops leaking oil on
my garage floor ! Hope it's not that, wasn't cheap and ebay isn't
exactly awash with them.

  Several years ago, the connector block on my bike, an 01 S, for the
headlights etc, the big yellow one, the low beam burnt out. I jumper'd
the connector block, and added an on/off switch for low beam. This so
far is one of the best mods to the bike, it helps get the bike started
when she really doesn't want to, if the battery/charging circuit is
playing up, killing the headlights is the difference between getting
home and not.

  Incidently, if you have no charging circuit, then you know that the
battery is getting too low to keep the bike running when the low fuel
light starts to flash. For me, 35 miles each way to work, a stock SV
battery fully charged, would start to flash fuel light about 8 miles
form home on the second day, about 142 miles, and die about 3 miles
later. If you kill the lights at about 130 miles, you'll get home.

  Even when the battery is so low you can't start the bike with the
starter, you can still bump start the bike and she will run, but about 2
miles max. Let it rest for 5 mins, and you can ride for another 2 miles.

  All above from experience :)