Best Handling/Gripping/Performing Street Tire for 2000

Erik Weber yoober at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 21:22:20 PST 2012

I agree with everything you said, but, I think this guy is a racer . . . ?

My humble opinion is that on the street you want a performance street
tire not a race tire because as has been mentioned you won't get
enough heat in the race tire for it to operate the way it was
designed. So, something like a Dunlop Qualifier (or whatever the
latest version is) would be best. The sidewall is stiffer than a race
tire so it won't feel all floppy when it's cold, and they warm up
quickly. I used Qualifiers on the track on an 01 for a while and they
worked just fine. I wouldn't have wanted to race on them, but then
again I was pretty new to racing and usually went with the softest
race tires available (Pirelli SC0) because I was skeert. . . The SC0
did not inspire confidence when cold . . . And the SC Diablo sucked in
the rain (SC Dragon was good though). D207/D208/Qualifier worked great
in the rain for me on the street. So it's a better "universal" tire
but still a performance tire.

With all that said take 'er easy on the street . . . Remember, Grandma
didn't sign a waiver . . .