Weights of things

Randy Grein rgrein at q.com
Sat Jul 14 23:05:40 PDT 2012

I don't believe the 'under 300' claim; it would take an enormous amount of money. However, many people indulge in 'optimistic weight reduction' at the track as well as Jenny Craig. (grin) The stock 1st gen and 2nd gen naked bikes weighted 396 (about the same as a 600 of that vintage, 1100s were 25-35 lbs more, if memory serves) at the curb so I suspect yours was a little less. Supersport trim is pretty easy, getting it under 340 is tough. Light battery, mags, subframe, drop the alternator and you're still a long way from 300. I did some estimates a while back, replacing steel spacers with Al, bolts, etc with Ti. It got really expensive, but a fully tricked bike would be a lot of fun. Seems to me a couple guys on the list went most the way down that road, maybe they will answer up. Of course, putting a little guy on the bike will drop the weight faster than anything, but IIRC Zoran was faster than any of us at Willow, and he wasn't much lighter than me. Of course, he was faster than half the field on middle and heavyweight bikes, and that on a track that is supposed to be a horsepower track. My only claim was that I didn't slow down at night. Nothing quite as fun as full tilt racing at 2 AM in the desert.

Randy Grein
rgrein at q.com