Weights of things

Randy Grein rgrein at q.com
Sun Jul 15 09:30:33 PDT 2012

Randy Grein
rgrein at q.com

On Jul 15, 2012, at 6:17 AM, Erik Weber wrote:

> Hey, you'll notice I qualified my ignorant statement. :) At any rate,
> I was talking about a Bridgestone mountain bike! But you are right,
> the tubes were bigger on the aluminum framed bikes that I looked at
> (at that time Cannondale was popularizing them). The Cannondale was
> lighter but I liked the way mine felt better plus it was significantly
> cheaper. The main thing about a mountain bike, in my humble opinion,
> is to put the best drivetrain you can get on it (sprockets/cassette,
> chain, cables, controls & derailer). Any bike becomes decent then.

Even more so with a road bicycle. It's funny seeing casual riders throw down $7,000 or more for exotic materials for a casual bike - because it's so much faster. It doesn't matter at all on a steady state ride, and even on rolling hills the tiny slowdown from a heavy bike is mostly offset by faster coast speed on the downhill side. And I forgot that Bridgestone made a mountain bike!

> Without motorbike racing, I've been having plenty of fun riding the
> "urban jungle" on my mountain bike. Next best thing to riding
> motorbikes. I like to "put my head down" through the "corners" and
> pretend like I'm Rossi as I rip up the sidewalks and piss off the
> joggers, ha ha ha. At least I'm staying bike fit.
>
> Speaking of vintage bikes (they are slower but I've seen some that
> still look plenty flickable), I wonder when the amateur orgs will
> decide that the first gen SV is a vintage bike . . . Maybe just about
> the time I can ever race again!

Maybe another 20-30 years; the current vintage guys would have to retire and younger vintage guys take their place. I wondered the same thing back in the late 80's, but the rulebook stayed stubbornly stuck at 1968. We did build a very successful gap class - middleweight and heavyweight dinosaur, but that was local. A lot of fun, really. It was kind of centered around my GS1100  so spanned that gap in the 70's and early 80's between 'real vintage' and the beginning of the monoshock era with the GSXR and other purpose built racebikes.