battery de-charging, mosfet replacements, etc

Dave & Tracy Thomas dave193 at rogers.com
Tue May 22 16:08:48 PDT 2012

looking thru some emails in bike folder, have you tried this yet
Charge your battery. Let it sit a half hour. Check  the voltage. If it is
close to 13 volts it's good. If is 12.4 or less, it is shit.

Now, with a good charged battery in the bike, start it and rev to 4000 rpm.
It should read above 14 volts at the battery. It probably won't if you have
the stock SV regulator.

If it reads 13.4 or so, you have a problem. If it reads lower as you rev
higher it is probably the regulator.

Before you change anything, unplug the three wire plug from the alternator
and check pin to pin voltage AC.  It should be around 65-70 volts a to b, b
to c , and c to a. If it is, then your regulator is probably bad.

I actually had a bike in a couple weeks ago that had a rotor  magnet let go
but that is scarce.

So, under 14 volts DC at the battery, and 60-70 at the alternator? Replace
regulator. Don't put in stock gen one, use a GSXR or CBR 1000.