bike struggles when starting, but runs fine

Andy Preston andy at prestonmedina.com
Wed Feb 13 20:21:14 PST 2013

Mine does the same thing, except not for 1 or 2 minutes, maybe 10
seconds, burps, farts and then the revs climb back up. After about a
minute it's doing 4K and turn off the choke and I'm riding. Check to
make sure your choke is properly adjusted, and is giving full choke. I
start the bike up, put on my helmet, gloves and if I'm at work, reattach
my tank bag and then the choke is off and I'm riding.

Also, check your battery. FWIW, I had one for a couple of years, that
would start fine from Feb/March to Oct/November time, and then during
winter months, about once per week wouldn't start the bike. Bump start
she would fire right up. Even restart from warm, no problem. Charging
voltage, no load voltage etc, everything looked good, but the cranking
amps were way down. That's the harder one to measure. Put a new battery
in., she was fine again. Point is, this is the time of year to show any
problems with the battery. Your 3 month problem fits right in the window
! SInce it's a slow degradation, until I put in the new battery, I never
noticed how slow the motor was cranking over during starting.

Andy