bike struggles when starting, but runs fine

Jo Rhett jorhett at fastlizardracing.com
Wed Feb 13 20:30:55 PST 2013

On Feb 13, 2013, at 8:21 PM, Andy Preston wrote:
> Mine does the same thing, except not for 1 or 2 minutes, maybe 10 seconds, burps, farts and then the revs climb back up. After about a minute it's doing 4K and turn off the choke and I'm riding. Check to make sure your choke is properly adjusted, and is giving full choke. I start the bike up, put on my helmet, gloves and if I'm at work, reattach my tank bag and then the choke is off and I'm riding.

Yeah, like what you said, by the time I put my helmet and gloves on the problem is gone. Unless I have to restart it. I can check the choke, sure but I can't see how the choke being wrong would cause the bike to gurgle.

> Also, check your battery. FWIW, I had one for a couple of years, that would start fine from Feb/March to Oct/November time, and then during winter months, about once per week wouldn't start the bike. Bump start she would fire right up. Even restart from warm, no problem. Charging voltage, no load voltage etc, everything looked good, but the cranking amps were way down. That's the harder one to measure. Put a new battery in., she was fine again. Point is, this is the time of year to show any problems with the battery. Your 3 month problem fits right in the window ! SInce it's a slow degradation, until I put in the new battery, I never noticed how slow the motor was cranking over during starting.

That's not the problem. Battery is putting out 14.1v. It kicks over fine. Since it dies pretty often, I usually have to start it 3 or 4 times. Starts up instantly every time, then starts to gurgle.

#553 WERA