bike struggles when starting, but runs fine

Jim Stewart js at strappe.com
Fri Feb 15 13:50:52 PST 2013

On 2/13/2013 7:52 PM, Jo Rhett wrote:
> NORMAL: So every morning when I go out to my '01 street bike I turn
> it on and raise the choke. It starts up and goes right up to 2200 rpm
> as normal.
>
> WEIRD: Then, for no reason I can figure out, the RPM drops to like
> 900 and it stays there for 1-2 minutes. It usually dies and has to be
> restarted a few times. You can't turn the throttle or it dies, as if
> the engine is flooded.

Hi, Jo -

It may be that the enrichment plunger on one of the cylinders is frozen,
causing the choke cable to break. This will let you choke one cylinder
but the other won't run until it gets warmer.

This is a common problem on first gen. SVs - I've seen it on -ummm-
probably four or five bikes, and mine has the problem right now. Gotta
fix it.

All of the bikes I've seen with the frozen plunger have had the problem
on the rear cylinder. I can't figure out why this should be the case, it
may well be coincidence.

-js