Hit and run

Julian Solomensky jsolo at solo-tek.com
Tue Apr 3 20:27:42 PDT 2007

It's been nearly 2 months since a drunk driver deposited his turdy early 90's lumina on my front lawn.  In the process taking out part of my bumper and side swiping the neighbor's truck across the street.

It took about 3 or 4 weeks for the police to finally obtain the guy's insurance information.

Since then, I've been battling it out with them to collect payment for damage to my car and possible damage to my property (he damaged the lawn somewhat and hit the tree with enough force to cause a split in its lower trunk).  The tree looks like its going to recover, and with all the snow/rain we've had, it's nearly impossible to tell of the damage to the lawn.

Collecting payment for the car damage is another story.  There were issues obtaining the drunk's version of the story - especially how his car wound up abandoned on my property.  He supposedly had his agent assist in the filling out of the forms.  The same agent then mailed the forms to the adjustor - 5 miles away.  Last Thursday they still have not received them (they were mailed out a week ago this past friday).  After much phone BS, i got the agent to fax the same paper work to the adjustor.

Spoke with the adjustor friday  - the paperwork was in order and a check would be issued.  Left a number of messages yesterday (monday).  The prick never called me back.  Left a few more messages today.  Eventually got so frustrated I just went over there  - the claim office is here in town.  Waited nearly a half hour for him to present himself.  Did wind up walking out of there with my settlement check.

What a pain though.  I don't recall my previous insurance claims to be this much hassle.  Last one being with geico.  They were out to the shop within a matter of days after receiving notification of claim.  Can't imagine what'd it be like if I had more significant damage to the car or property.

In any event, I got the bumper from a guy on ebay and am having it painted as this is typed.  Should have it by the weekend.

I do hope this guy gets his license suspended and/or spends some more time in jail.  Might be a good reminder of why you don't drink and drive, or drive after posting bail for a dui....

Ride safe!

--
Best regards,
 Julian                            mailto:jsolo at solo-tek.com