Motor Oil continued

Jeffrey Markham automan25 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 07:59:53 PDT 2007

So it sounds like most of you use "motorcycle" oil in your bikes. I can't help but feel like I'm getting screwed every time I have to go to a motorcycle dealer to buy oil. I would like to be able to use a high quality automobile oil in my bike (even an automobile synthetic would be cheaper), but I'm not sure about doing that yet. I ran across a website yesterday that claims that motorcycle specific oils are a fairly recent development and that for most bikes, wet clutch type included, standard auto oil will work fine as long as it classified as an "SL" oil. The site continues by saying that as long as the oil isn't of the "energy conserving" type then it will be just fine for motorcycle use. The site can be found here:

http://vfrworld.com/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

What do you all think...any validity to this?

-Jeff

Jeffrey R. Markham
Digital Designer
automan25.com