Seafoam

Dave Daniels dwaynedaniels at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 20 08:13:20 PDT 2007

Michael,

  I had a 1985 Shadow 1100 and the idle jets were permanently installed in the carbs. You could't remove them for cleaning. So, while the carbs were off and the bowels removed, I took a syringe, like you use for giving a child medicine, and shot some carb cleaner through the jet several times. Worked like a charm. If your problems are at idle, and your carbs are like mine were as far as the idle jets not being removeable, this idea may help you. The '85 and '86 Shadow 1100's were also notorious for backfiring on decelearation. To cure it, I installed a jet kit which included main jets and new needles. Problem solved. It also took care of the cold nature'dness of the bike. Don't ask me what size jets I put in but the kit was Dynojet. If I remember correctly, they make recommendations for you. Good luck.

  Dave

"blackbear at frontiernet.net" <blackbear at frontiernet.net> wrote:
  on the 1983 SHadow I'm rebuilding, I've pulled the carbs apart and
cleaned everything I could reach. Added some Techron once it was all
back together, and it would start, but ran like crap. Half the time I
had to leave the choke on to keep it running and to reduce the
backfires on deceleration (which I hear is actually a too-rich
problem?).

I've tried to order a carb-kit for this bike only to be told they are
discontinued.
Anyone have any other ideas to get this beast running reliably?

With gas almost at $3/gal, a bike that gives 55MPG on the 87 octane
stuff is a dream come true!
EVen the mighty GPZ cannot top that (up to 45MPG but needs the 93 or
it gets REALLY cranky)

so I've considered trying to find the Seafoam and see if it helps, but
with a tankful of stabilizer, will the Seafoam cause some sort of
negative reaction?

Michael