speedo...gas cap...and other ghost in the machine.

Dave Daniels dwaynedaniels at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 1 19:32:08 PDT 2007

Couple things...

  1. After installing my new front tire, my speedometer needle jumps around a bit. Did I get the nut on the axle too tight? Is the cable dry? Wasn't that way before.

  2. I've mentioned before how gas makes it's way up throught the key hole in my gas cap in warmer weather. It still is. I've checked all the venting options and nothing is blocked as far as I can tell. There's a rubber seal inside the cap that goes around the lock mechanism and I assume that is what's supposed to keep gas from coming up through there. The seal in mine is dry rotted and doesn't seal at all. Anybody know where to find one of these little seals? It's not an o-ring, although I'm sure an o-ring would do the trick if I could find the right size. This little seal is kind of like a lip seal without the metal backing or spring.

  Thanks for any help. Gettin' ready for Indiana....

  Dave D.