Valve Adjust Question

Jeffrey Markham automan25 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 13:45:31 PDT 2007

I did a valve adjustment a couple of months ago. I ended up using RTV on the all of the valve cover gasket surfaces and it leaked like crazy. I ended up having to buy a new gasket and the second time only used RTV (high temp) on the 4 half-moon sections at the ends of the head. Now it works great. I'd recommend getting a new gasket if yours is not very pliable. (make sure you buy the circular gaskets as well that go around the spark plug shafts.)

  -Jeff M.
Mark Reckinger <marque at battlefoundry.net> wrote:
  So, I'm in the middle of a valve adjust. Got the valve cover off and am
about to dig in. One thing, for re-assembly., what's the deal with
adding a sealer (RTV?) to the valve cover gasket? Do I apply to the top
and bottom surfaces? All the way around or just the corners? Any
particular brand? Any help greatly appreciated. Please email me direct.

Thanks!
MR