Petcock Failure

John Soliday johnsoliday at msn.com
Tue Aug 14 18:24:55 PDT 2007

One thing that will make an O-ring fail is non-use.  I've found at least on
my older bikes that people that just left it in the on position, a lot of
times it would rip when finally turned.  That's why I usually turn my to
"off" if I own a bike that has an off position, or bikes that don't have
off, but only prime, I like to always run them to reserve to I get to
exercise the O-ring i.e. not let it stick to either side it is pressed
between.  Just my theory of petcock failures over the years.  BUT my biggest
mystery is WHO named it a petcock in the first place, ....jeez.

John