what a pain!

Julian Solomensky jsolo at solo-tek.com
Tue Jan 9 13:56:10 PST 2007

Dave,

4K miles is indeed very low mileage figuratively speaking.  If those miles were extremely hard, then it's probably more like 40K miles.

The trans in these things are almost bullet proof.  I have over 75K on mine, and only strange noise is on initial take off when cold.  But that's expected given the age and mileage.

To break off the fingers off the clutch basket one really had to beat the crap out of the bike and/or perform numerous clutch dumps (in an attempt to get the front wheel up?) ).

With all that debris floating around in the oil who knows what other damage has been done.

Depending how much more time, effort and money you want to put into this, if it were me, I'd get some straight 30 or 40 weight oil, put that in and hope it quiets it down enough so the next owner doesn't hear any noises.  Then sell it asap.

It would be too funny if the next owner should come on here complaining of similar issues with his 'new' gpz1100. :)

As for you repairing it, I'm not even sure where to begin without a complete trans tear down.