what a pain!

Dave Daniels dwaynedaniels at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 9 13:21:33 PST 2007

Well, I've gotten my new clutch in, and it is operating properly now it seems. But, my problems are far from over. I'm going to summarize below what I've gone through to this point. Maybe all you experts could help me/lead me to what I should do next.

  My clutch was slipping which was the first problem. Somebody suggested that maybe putting in that synthetic oil, which has anti-friction additives in it, caused those additives to get embedded in the friction plates, which could be causing the slipping. Afterall, the bike only has just over 4000 miles on it. How could the clutch be bad yet? So, I thought, maybe I'll try running some Gunk engine flush through there. Actually a friend recommended it since he's been doing it for 30 years. Maybe that'll clean off those plates and it'll stop slipping. So, I tried it, then refilled with regular Kawasaki oil. Yep, it stopped slipping, but soon, the bike started running badly and was acting like the clutch was gonna sieze up. My guess was that, when I drained the oil after the flush, I didn't get it all out of the oil cooler and the remaining gunk-filled oil mixed with the new oil and messed up the new oil. So, I drained it again and made sure all of it was out. Refilled again
 with standard oil. Still running badly, and ticking now. So, I do a valve adjustment and it needed it. Still ticking, and now when I get on the throttle, I get a strange rattley, growling noise(hard to describe). Plus, the clutch is slipping again. Finally, I get mad and open up the clutch to discover one of the fingers(tangs) on the clutch basket has broken off and is nowhere to be seen. This is when I drop the pan and find it to be a horrible mess. gold metal flakes all over the bottom and especially around the magnetic drain plugs. Oil pump sucker screen almost completely clogged up. And, I found the broken tang in the bottom of the pan. I got a new basket and some new plates, cleaned out the pan and replaced the screens and put it back together. Except for the clutch slipping, it seems that these noise problems began after I did the engine flush. Still have the noises and it's getting worse. So, tell me all you experts, what's the prognosis? I'm really really
 discouraged here. Thanks very much for all the help you guys provide. It is priceless!

  Dave D.